Monday, November 26, 2007

Why unconditional love does not exist

What is unconditional love? It means love and devotion no matter what, despite any attribute, change, or property inherent of the one being loved. To give unconditional love is to love somebody, despite and no matter who they are. In which case, if love is not for the person... then who is it for? Unconditional love becomes love for love's sake, and the one being loved is objectified, stripped of any individuality, by being loved unconditionally.

Just a thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly!

Anonymous said...

My grandmother loved me unconditionally because I was me. She is the only one who ever has. Not my mother, not my father, not my husband. And it did not strip me of my identity, uniqueness, etc. Instead it made me who I am, which is someone who is capable of giving the same love that my grandmother gave me.

Anonymous said...

There is absolutely no such thing as unconditional love. Love is a secondary feeling which stems from joy & trust. It does not exist alone. When someone often breaches trust & / or is not a constant joy to be around.. well the love dies.

When someone says they love you unconditionally, they are lying. They have confused rational obligation or are tricking themselves by remembering a time when they did love you. But that is not love, that is only a trick.

To understand your emotions, google "robert plutchik emotion wheel". Do not confuse the understanding that children & animals must be shown, that is something else too.

But unconditional love is a "crock of hockey pucks".